Thursday, September 26, 2013

Everyday Food Roasted Salmon with Kale and Cabbage

My dear friend Amanda (of From the Desk of Amanda Zika fame) gave me a subscription to Martha Stewart Living a few years back, and lucky for me, she keeps renewing it for me. :)  Lately, there's been included with that subscription a little Everyday Food booklet filled with lots of yummy and fast recipes.  The other day, Publix happened to have some fresh Coho salmon, which is vastly superior to the farmed stuff they usually have.  I picked some up, along with a big bag of organic kale.  I planned to just bake the salmon (we typically sprinkle some of Chef Paul Prudhommes Magic Salmon Seasoning on the salmon and bake on foil - I just can't quit you - for about 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees) and sauté the kale with some olive oil and garlic, when I vaguely recalled reading a recipe in Everyday Food that looked like it would work with other ingredients I already had on hand.  I didn't have any cabbage, but it didn't matter, this recipe turned out great with just the salmon and kale, and we only had ONE pan to clean at the end of this.  Of course, when I say "we" had a pan to clean, I of course mean D.  In our house, the cook doesn't clean . :) 

The only tweak I would make to the recipe is to cook the salmon for less time, or maybe keep your salmon piece whole, instead of cutting it into portions. I found that 10 minutes was a little too long and the salmon ended up a little over-cooked.  Maybe check it after about 7 minutes. 

Here is the recipe: Roasted Salmon with Kale and Cabbage, and here are some pictures of our dinner:

Before going into the oven


All finished and ready to eat.
(I left the sauce off C's portion in case she wasn't a fan.  I needn't have worried.  It was really, really good). 

No comments:

Post a Comment